About the Collection
We are delighted to announce that this entire show is completely sold out! Thank you for the overwhelming response. Please do browse the collection below, and to commission an artwork by the artist, please contact us over email, phone or WhatsApp.
Letters - or akshars - entice artist Nikheel Aphale, who has taken calligraphy beyond its conventional definition of ‘the art of beautiful handwriting’. Using the power of the letter and his adeptness with calligraphy, Nikheel creates art that is imperfect yet beautiful. The textures of ink, the abstract spaces, the overlapping letterforms, and the mingling strokes, make his work a truly visual experience. The Devanagari script is Nikheel’s muse; he adores its traditional and spiritual roots, and being the script of his mother tongue, Marathi, he feels deeply connected to it. But his training in design at National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad, has also imbibed in Nikheel a contemporary aesthetic, and it is the combination of tradition and modernity, that makes Nikheel’s art instantly appealing.
Sacred Strokes is a collection of artworks by Nikheel Aphale that blends the traditional with the modern seamlessly. Using a highly stylized artistic language, Nikheel has inscribed verses from popular shlokas, aartis and prayers to create visually stunning works that capture the viewer’s imagination. From the ever popular Gayatri Mantra to the powerful Pavamana Mantra, verses steeped in religious tradition appear with dramatic flair on Nikheel’s canvas, paired with abstract strokes that complement his calligraphic elegance. A celebration of Indian history, culture, and art, Sacred Strokes is a refreshing interpretation of tradition by the emerging Bangalore based artist.
Artist Career Highlights
- Invited to represent India and participate in the World Calligraphy Biennale of Jeollabuk-do, South Korea in 2015, 2017 and 2019
- Works published in juried issues of the Letter Arts Review, an esteemed international calligraphy magazine, in 2010, 2011 and 2016
- Speaker at a TEDx event organized by Shiv Nadar University
- Conducted workshops in esteemed institutions such as NIFT, Srishti, Strate School of Design, BHU and MICA
- Recipient of the Gold Award for outstanding work in Calligraphy (Callihunt 2016); organized by Achyut Palav School of Calligraphy
- Participated in residencies and group shows in India, Taipei and South Korea
- Completed Bachelor’s in Applied Arts from L S Raheja School of Art, Mumbai, and Postgraduate Diploma in Graphic Design from National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad
The Artistic Process
What makes Nikheel Aphale’s artworks truly intriguing, is his process of creation. Nikheel uses fascinating tools to create his art – from all types of brushes and pens, to debit cards, toothbrushes and coconut husk, pushing his boundaries to achieve a result that is surprising and beautiful. With a special fondness for handmade paper, he loves the textures created by their natural coarseness.
Blending Tradition with Modernity
From exquisite calligraphy to confident brush strokes, Nikheel’s art is a brilliant amalgamation of tradition and modernity. The sheer elegance of the Devanagiri script, in which the shlokas and prayers are written, is complemented beautifully by the fluidity of his abstract strokes, minute detailing, and the subtle use of colour, creating depth, perspective and drama in his canvasses.
The Artist Speaks
APPLIED FILTERS :
APPLIED FILTERS :