About the Show
More than 2500 years ago, the lone but powerful voice of Buddha, served to quell the fears of mankind. It brought people together by showing that the way forward is through the exercise of love, compassion and non-violence. That simple yet profound philosophy is as relevant today, as it was when the words were first uttered millennia ago.
Awakening is a solo exhibition of paintings and sculptures by Sangeeta Abhay, an artist who has dedicated her work to the life and teachings of Lord Buddha. The artworks awaken the soul as much as they awaken our visual senses. Buddha’s simple teachings reverberate through Sangeeta’s exquisite creations, defined by their simplicity and elegance. While Buddha himself is a common subject in artistic depictions, it is Sangeeta’s unusual and highly unique interpretation and treatment, that make her work special and worthy of attention.
Born into the lap of art and culture in Buldana, Maharashtra – a quaint town close to the famous Ajanta Caves of India, Sangeeta Abhay always had a searing desire to spread the message of Lord Buddha. Starting her journey from such a humble background, to earning praise from His Holiness The Dalai Lama, and exhibiting her work at the prestigious Florence Biennale – Sangeeta believes her incredible journey has been made possible due to the blessings of Buddha himself.
Artist Career Highlights
- Featured in a BBC’s seminal documentary ‘Civilization’, in an episode called God and Art
- Participated in the prestigious 2019 Florence Biennale XII and awarded for her anamorphic sculptural installation fusing science and art
- Padma Bhushan and Grammy awardee Gulzar, the Indian lyricist and poet, has written couplets for five of Sangeeta’s artworks, and dedicated a poem for her solo show at Jehangir Art Gallery
- Won praise for her art from His Holiness The Dalai Lama, Shyam Benegal, Sudha and Narayan Murthy, eminent artist Dr. Pushpa Dravid, and maker of India’s first electric car, Sudarshan Maini
- Ranked first in her BFA degree at Government College of Art, Aurangabad and won a fellowship
Detailing and Simplicity
Sangeeta’s signature artistic style is defined by the use of highly complex techniques and spectacular detailing, resulting in a surprising visual simplicity, that has the same soothing effect as Buddha himself. She works extensively with gold leaf in her oil paintings, creating a richness that shines through.
Spreading Buddha's Teachings
Buddha has inspired humanity for over 2500 years. His profound teachings ring true even today, reminding us to strive for wisdom, kindness, compassion, patience, generosity, and peace. Sangeeta Abhay spreads Buddha's message through her art, imploring us to leave behind a better world for future generations.
Couplets by Gulzar
Tied together by a common devotion to Buddha, Sangeeta has been fortunate to have acclaimed Indian lyricist and poet Gulzar, a Padma Bhushan and Grammy awardee, write couplets for five of her artworks in Urdu.